I will be going to Nairobi, Kenya for 8 weeks during the Summer of 2011. Please pray for myself, my team, and ministry going on there currently.. God bless <3

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

GRATEFUL

Today was day 2 of actually being on the field in Mathare. God has shown Himself to me in so many ways! I was able to be a part of 4 different areas of ministry at Missions of Hope International (MoHI). Yesterday I worked with teaching and community outreach. My teammate Kelsey and I were placed in class 3 yellow. Class 3 means they are each at the third grade level, but that does not necessarily mean that they are all the same age. The age of each child depends on when they first joined the program at MoHI whether through a sponsor or their parents supporting them. Yellow simply distinguishes one class from another. It was amazing to see how well behave each of the students were. They were very joyous and eager to learn. I was blessed with the opportunity to see how God is moving in their lives and giving them hope and joy.

After teaching, we were able to help out in the community outreach department. Kiersten and I went with Regina to visit Mary, one of MoHI's students and another lady. Mary's mother was telling us how her husband had left her (a common theme throughout Mathare) and she had to provide for her 3 children alone. She sold wood each day which gave her about 50 schillings each day (equivalent to about $0.60) and she needed 1,000 schillings each month just to pay for rent. 50 schillings a day for 30 days is equal to 1,500 schillings a month of income. She explained to us that she had to find another way to have income for her children. She sells her body to make up for the rest of the money. My heart was broken for this lady. I wanted so much for her to have hope and love through our Savior Jesus Christ, but she is at a lost in knowing how to provide for her family. My teammate and I were able to share about Gods provision in our very own lives and I could see her face light up from how God has provided for us. The second lady we visited was born again, but she has been going through a very rough time in her life. Two of her kids go to MoHI, but she has been unable o provide funds for them to go to school. Her husband was sent to jail last year and he will be there for 7 years. She needs God's divine intervention in her life to see Him provide for her.

Today, I was placed in spiritual development in the morning and Microfinance in the afternoon. For spiritual development, one of the staff ladies, 4 of my teammates, MoHI's pastor, and myself were able to go and make some house visits with people the pastor knew. We were so blessed and grateful for the opportunity to be encouraged by each persons faith in Christ and how He has provided for each of them. I definitely saw God at work today. For those that know Christ and live in Mathare, they have experienced more of God's provision than what I will ever experience. The amount of faith they have is like a watermelon compared to my mustard seed. God is absolutely working in the hearts and lives of those that know Him in Mathare. God is crazy good.


In Christ,
Brandi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment