I will be going to Nairobi, Kenya for 8 weeks during the Summer of 2011. Please pray for myself, my team, and ministry going on there currently.. God bless <3

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Random Facts :)

I have watched a woman breast feed her baby at least once every day while on the field.

The word "pole" in Spanish means chicken, but in Kiswahili it means sorry.

On the way home one day I was in one minor wreck and about five minutes later I was almost in a head on collision.

While walking through the slums, actually while walking anywhere, it is not abnormal for children to shout "Muzungos." the literal translation of muzungos means white person. :)

Children everywhere want to touch a white person because they think we are celebrities.

Apparently because US currency has "In God we trust," some Kenyans think all of America is Christian.

No one in America has as much faith, trust, and reliance on God as the Christians in Mathare.

Rent for many "homes" in Mathare is equal to almost $13.00 or 1,000/= (1,000 Kenyan Schillings)

I can feel the presence of God and His hedge of protection over me as I walk throughout the slum.

Street boys sniff/eat glue used to repair shoes. The glue makes them high so that they forget about their hunger and to essentially forget life. They crowd around us as we wait to catch the matatu (bus) every day.

Their is A LOT of sickness in Mathare.

With blessings from Nairobi,
Brandi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment