I will be going to Nairobi, Kenya for 8 weeks during the Summer of 2011. Please pray for myself, my team, and ministry going on there currently.. God bless <3

Friday, June 17, 2011

Update from the field

God is so good! I have been settling in here and adjusting to the culture and life in Kenya. I have 5 blogs that I need to post, but I need a wifi connection in order to do that. Tomorrow I may be able to go to a cyber cafe to post them. 

So far, this experience has been a roller coaster ride. From the highs of realizing I am really in Africa, to the lows of being overwhelmed with culture shock. The good news is that God has been here throughout all the bumps and He continues to be faithful to me. While I walk through Mathare I can literally feel the presence of God among me and the people I meet. Five years ago it would not have been safe to walk throughout Mathare, but God has worked much that you can feel Him there.

Simply walking through the slums is a roller coaster ride. Having children chant "Muzungus" or "How are you?" can bring so much joy and sorrow to my heart all at once. Muzungu translated means "white person." The kids will crowd around me asking for me to take a picture of them and wanting to simply hold my hand. I have had the opportunity to go on several house visits where I am able to sit and talk with families and learn about their lives in Mathare. The meetings can be very encouraging or discouraging. I have met with people who have seen God provide for them and their family in so many different ways. I have had the opportunity to meet a lady that makes 50 Kenyan schillings a day selling wood, but needs 1,000 schillings a month to pay for rent. (Please note that 86 Kenyan schillings equals 1 US dollar.) With the expenses of food and school fees, she needs another source of income. My heart was broken to know that she resorts to selling her body for additional funds. My teammate, Kiersten and I were able to encourage her in her pursuit of Christ. I could see her face light up when we shared about how God has provided for us in tough times. God is moving.

I have been placed under the microfinance area of ministry with Missions of Hope International. Being placed there was totally not my expectation, but that's what God is trying to teach me. I have been saying for a couple years now that I will never use my major with ministry and well, that's what I get for saying that. I have been able to sit in on loan meetings, crunch numbers, and sit in the office with no work to do (hence why I am writing this update). Starting next week I will be in the office most of the time doing data entry and filing. One perk about being in the office all the time is that I will be able to keep everyone updated on the ministry here. My team leaders are allowing me to work with evangelism on Thursdays. I will get a break from the office and be able to use my spiritual gift in ministry. :)

That's all for now, but I will write again soon. :)

Prayer concerns:
Pray for sick teammates.
Pray for God to heal the sick in Mathare.
Pray that the revival would continue to prosper in Mathare.


Thanks in advance for the prayers!

In Christ,
Brandi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment